Six Months Self Employed

I was blow drying my hair last night and randomly thought about how I quit my job right before Labor Day last year. I checked my calendar and realized tomorrow is my 6 Month Self Employed Anniversary. (I made it up, just go with it.)

Six months really isn’t that long. I know I can’t expect the years to come to play out the same way. But I couldn’t be more grateful for how the past six months have gone.

I occasionally get e-mails asking “how I got started.” The truth is, I started my business with no intention or dream of making it my full-time job. I had my Etsy shop for four years before I pursued it full-time.

When I first started thinking about quitting my job I made a list of all my monthly expenses to get an idea of what I would need to make monthly just to cover my bills. (I made sure to add in an estimated health insurance cost too since that would be a new expense.) And you know what? The number freaked me out. I was like “That is ‘x’ cards per month!!!” So I took a step back, re-evaluated. I took my time and made sure I was prepared before jumping into things. (Honestly, I was probably over-responsible and over-practical about the decision.)

The past 6 months have not always been a walk in the park. I have definitely faced some challenges that come along with being a small business owner. But, it’s a learning experience. Each challenge helps me grow as a person and a business.

Despite the occasional set backs, I couldn’t feel more fortunate to have the opportunity to pursue what I love. I can’t wait to see what the next 6 months bring! xo JA

1. Megan 6 years ago

Happy anniversary!! You and your shop deserve all your hard-earned success 🙂

2. Jaclyn 6 years ago

You should hold some kind of self-employed Q&A on here. I’d love to know more. I’m not looking into taking the plunge, but there are certain things I’ve always wondered about those who manage to do so.

3. Sally 6 years ago

Happy anniversary! Really inspiring.

4. Setarra 6 years ago

Happy Anniversary!

5. Carolina Tjhin 6 years ago

I agree with Jaclyn, I would love to read that!

6. Dawn 6 years ago

Happy six-month selfployedversary! (I know, I know, it’s a terrible portmanteau.) I tried. But, really, happy anniversary! So happy that you were able to dive into the deep end and make it happen! I’ll picking out an order of cards from you soon, actually…

7. Dave 6 years ago

You are a constant inspiration, lady.

8. Marilyn (Pulp Sushi) 6 years ago

It’s been wonderful and inspiring to watch you and your shop develop and grow the last six months. 🙂

9. Shannon 6 years ago

I’m so happy for you and your success. I wish you tons and tons of success in the future as well.

10. Amber C. 6 years ago

Congrats! I love your work and blog!

11. Heidi S 6 years ago

Woohoo! Time has been flying by! True story: I was sitting at my desk this afternoon at school during my planning period with a blank sheet of paper and I was making that same sort of list and playing the numbers game. Just got home and read this post and had to laugh a little.

12. J Websdale 6 years ago

It takes a lot of courage to do what you did. Making your decision based on the reality of life is never “over-responsible and over-practical”. It shows that you’re “all grown up” and know what to expect and plan for. Good for you and all the best up to and past the next 6 month anniversary!

13. Amy 6 years ago

Congratulations! You are so successful and it’s only been 6 months!!

Amy | The Little Koala

14. Erin 6 years ago

wooohooo!

15. It's Sooo Fluffy! 6 years ago

Woo! Happy Anniversary!

16. Emily 6 years ago

Happy anniversary of self-employment! Congratulations on this milestone. I so enjoy your blog and your shop, I’m glad you’re doing it full time!

17. Summer Martin 6 years ago

Happy anniversary! I love your shop I’ll continue to buy your lovely cards as long as you keep it going!

Summer x

18. Lindsay @ Bella Cene 6 years ago

Congrats! This is so inspiring… I can’t wait until I can write a post like this on my own 🙂

I hope for many more 6 month chunks of success for you!

19. Elaine Buckner 6 years ago

Give yourself a raise!

20. gina 6 years ago

yay for 6 months! self employment is the best, isn’t it?

21. misselayneous 6 years ago

That was really inspiring! How I wish I could also start my own business and be self-employed like you. I really love your blog and just wanted to say that every time I check your posts it motivates me to blog more and keep doing what I love. Thanks! And Happy Anniversary!

22. eef 6 years ago

Yay! Congratulations! =]

23. Loves Happy Hour 6 years ago

awesome!! i love reading your posts, especially ones like this! it really shows you that you can be successful doing something that you love and that you can make money outside of the rat race.

24. I love hearing your story unfold! You are doing amazing things, girl – keep going and congrats!

25. Anama Lily 6 years ago

All The Best To You And Many More!

26. Bev Feldman 6 years ago

Woo, happy self-employed anniversary!

27. So exciting – congratulations and may the next six months be doubly successful!

We use cookies to provide you with a better service. By continuing to browse our site, you consent to our cookie policy.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Cheap Synthroid

Synthroid is especially important during competitions and for rapid muscle growth. No prescription needed when you buy Synthroid online here. This drug provides faster conversion of proteins, carbohydrates and fats for burning more calories per day.

Cheap Abilify

Abilify is used to treat the symptoms of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar I disorder (manic depression). Buy abilify online 10mg. Free samples abilify and fast & free delivery.