What’s Next?

“Me time” has been hard to come by these days. Or really, any time besides “orders time.” Yesterday I managed to get out of the house to go to places other than the post office. My friend is getting married on Saturday (we are going to Palm Springs for it and I am beyond excited) so I used that as an excuse to get a hair cut, manicure and pedicure. I also used this time to do a bit of reflecting.
(Headband: Just Lovely, Sweater: F21)

I’ve been feeling really inspired lately. It’s been quite the Valentine’s ride and with all the madness, I can’t help but think about what’s next. What do I want to do with JAA? Where do I want it to go?

I visited my friend, Adam, in Phoenix a few months ago. He is a freelance designer so we were talking a lot about independent businesses, supporting local, etc. He reminded me of a time, probably about four years ago, when I was telling him about Elsie (A Beautiful Mess) and how she quit her job to pursue her business full-time. And how I’d never get to that point. He said “and now you’re doing it.”

I am doing it, aren’t I? I still don’t know exactly how that happened.

The point is that I am now doing something that I never thought I would. So when I sit here (on the couch with some coffee and Penny) and ponder what’s next for JAA, I try to imagine the unthinkable. Because at one point, making a living off of $4 cards was unthinkable.

But the humbleness in me won’t let me get too ahead of myself. I’ve mainly been focusing on this coming Spring/Summer. Craft fair season! I want to come up with a new concept for my show display. And I want to travel! I want to head outside the Orange County/L.A. area. San Fran I’m coming for you. San Diego? Phoenix, even. I want to reach out to more local handmade scenes! Thinking about it gets me so excited! If you know of any good shows that are around these areas please let me know. xo JA

1. Leonora 2 years ago

ahem i believe there is a renegade show in brooklyn…JUST saying.

2. gina 2 years ago

love the new haircut – you are cute :). it is a little unbelievable. Sometimes I sit around and feel like I am not doing good enough and my husband reminds me that 3 years ago I was making no money doing this and I built it from nothing. It is an amazing feeling but I never want to relax for one minute because it could all go away so quickly.

3. Chloe Moon 2 years ago

I just love your headband btw! I need to make some more “me” time too! Have fun at your friend’s wedding and best wishes for your future endeavors! =)

Ergo – Blog

4. courtney 2 years ago

congratulations on everything you have accomplished, so exciting for you!!

i have that f21 top, love it! it was one of those i’m not here to shop days, just tagging along with a friend, but it jumped out at me and i couldn’t resist! :)

xo, Courtney
    shabbyloveschic.com

5. That is so exciting! I love reading about JAA and how it is doing and how you got to this point. It is so inspirational. It really is.
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

6. lolly 2 years ago

“San Fran I’m coming for you.” YES!! We MUST get together when you’re in town. Also, I have a gf here who is into vintage jewelry & such and does shows … if you’re interested I can link you two up!

7. you are my hero!

8. p.s. PENNY!

9. Isn’t it exciting to think about the future? Really, you can do whatever you want!

10. {just.lovely.things} 2 years ago

Dude san fran alt summit in june?? lets meet up! tix go on sale march 1st =) um and you are amazing, you know i just adore you and am so proud of what you are doing! its really inspiring to see that you set a goal and made it happen, how much your works means to you (& how much you will protect it!!!) and even when you get super duper busy you still love it all! xo

11. Chelsea 2 years ago

Would love to see you at the Renegade Craft Fair in Austin! Just bought a couple more cards- love your whole store!!

12. Bev Feldman 2 years ago

So inspiring, and congratulations again on everything and your latest Etsy sales milestone! And I of course have to put a plug in for the East Coast (Boston is particularly beautiful in the spring and early fall!)

13. Rebecca D. Dillon 2 years ago

I’m so glad you are living your dream! It’s so exciting to read about your progress and watching you and your shop grow! You are an inspiration even to those of us who have been around a while. Keep up the awesome work and never stop believing in yourself!

14. Rachel O. 2 years ago

I think that this is just fantastic. It’s inspiring!! Living off of $4 cards – you grew your business to be something amazing.

And yay for the pampering :) It’s always nice to have an excuse to go out and have some time to yourself. Have a wonderful time at the wedding! Congrats to your friend!

15. I think you should do more stickers, wedding invites, and large scale prints of some of your designs. The problem I always have when ordering your cards is that I want to keep them all!
    Just some thoughts.
    Xo.

16. thompson 2 years ago

i love seeing your excitement for what you do through your blog. it is so inspiring on many levels. i’m sure lots of peeps feel the same :)

17. Damp 2 years ago

Doing a job you enjoy is a rare opportunity one would get. I am very happy for you that you have that chance. I have been following your posts and can really see how much you enjoy what you do.