Tooth + Tooth Fairy Costume DIY Tutorial

I’ve gotten lots of requests for this tutorial! We did the best we could to demonstrate how this tooth costume was made while actually not having it anymore. (Dare I say, it was too big, Penny wanted to make it her bed, and we threw it out?)

Supplies:

2 regular pillows
2 long pillows
1 white sheet
1 big needle
thick white thread
1.) Sew the edges of the pillows together, alternating between long pillows and regular pillows to create a “cube shape.”
2.) Cut up the bottoms of the long pillows and shape the corners to form the roots, then sew edges.
3.) Cut armholes towards the top of the pillow (you may want to step into the cube to get correct placement), then sew edges.

4.) Cut a hole in the middle of the white sheet (that your head will fit through).
5.) Put the tooth on. Put your head through the hole in the white sheet and let the rest of the sheet fall over the tooth. Adjust for comfort and look. Have a friend pin the sheet into place all around the tooth. You will have to cut excess sheet away and tuck it under the edges and pin to get a finished look.
6.) Carefully take it off and sew the sheet in place very securely, then remove pins.

The crown is optional. While Jordan was going for a tooth that had a crown, this did throw off quite a few drunk guys at the bar. “Hey! The Tooth King! Cooool!” Yeah no.
All illustrations c/o Jordan. :]
Good luck! E-mail me if you have any questions. And don’t forget to check out our other costume tutorial: Pacman and Ms. Pacman!

I love it! You two are so creative :).

2. Rachel 3 years ago

This is an amazing idea! I’ve always had this weird fascination with teeth, so I might try to convince the boyfriend and I to do this for Halloween!

Life Unsweetened

3. Megan 3 years ago

Awesome tutorial! You guys are the king and queen of the couples’ costume :)

-Megan
    meganesass.blogspot.com

4. Rachel @lifeasMrs 3 years ago

love it! Thanks for sharing!

5. Tereza 3 years ago

haha I love this so much, great job and thanks for sharing!

6. Eyelah 3 years ago

thanks for sharing. Your costumes are so cute. I really love your expression in the photo.

7. Jasanna Czellar 3 years ago

That’s awesome!!! Totally want to do this! :)

8. Samantha Zinn 3 years ago

Awwwh, I love it!<3 I might get rid of my useless pillows to do this DIY tooth fairy costume, thanks for sharing! :)

Samantha x

PS: I love your blog and your handmade greeting cards by the way :) !

9. Med School Mom 3 years ago

Adorable! I love when couples wear matching costumes.

10. Anonymous 3 years ago

I love it! I am a dental hygienist and my husband is going to school to be a dentist! Haha perfect for us!

11. Anonymous 3 years ago

Im a dental assistant and my boyfriend is A dental technician making dental crowns and bridges, I just finsihed it and it looks amazing!!!! Cant wait for Halloween!

• Julie Ann 3 years ago

That’s awesome, I would love to see photos!!

12. Anonymous 3 years ago

What size sheet?

13. Anonymous 3 years ago

i want to know how you put yours together! the tooth fairy :)

14. Anonymous 3 years ago

Did you find an adult tutu or make it yourself?

15. Im totally doing this this year. I wanted to
    Ask you what shoes you wore. I’m wearing fishnets and was thinking of a cute white ballet slipper with white ribbons lacing up my shins…but just wanted to check with the original :)

Thanks so much!
    -Shauna

• Julie Ann 3 years ago

Hi there, I wore ballet flats that I covered in glitter! Good luck, and I’d love to see pictures!

• Anonymous 3 years ago

where did or how did you make your fairy costume from?

16. Anonymous 3 years ago

What size sheet did you use??

17. Anonymous 3 years ago

This is a great idea, and great instructions! My daughter want to have a theme costume with her little brother. When I showed her your tutorial she went nuts! She found a blue fairy costume on etsy.com and we used smaller pillows since her littler brother is only two and it is turning out so cute! Thank you for putting your great ideas on here, it has made our halloween!

18. Anonymous 3 years ago

What did you use to make the tooth wand?

• Julie Ann 3 years ago

I rolled up a piece of paper tightly and then filled it with hot glue for the stem. When the hot glue was dry I added glitter to it using spray adhesive. Then I just drew a tooth on paper, cut it out, and glued it top. Added a little ribbon and that was it!

19. Anonymous 3 years ago

how did you make the tooth wand? I’m doing a last minute tooth fairy costume & the only thing left to make is the wand. Thank you

20. Anonymous 3 years ago

I made a tooth wand last night…just bought a cheap wand (with a star on the end) from the costume store, then traced a tooth on card stock, cut it out and used Elmer’s glue and glued the cutouts on each side. I also took rhinestones and glued them around each outline on the card stock cutouts

21. Anonymous 3 years ago

Ok so I made this tooth last night and it took 9 hours and I am not great at sewing but it turned out pretty good. We have 2 parties so I hope it holds up. Yours is so smooth and even though I ironed the sheet, mine is a little wrinkled. I made a fairy costume inspired by yours but then I added a pink tool belt with pliers in it and money as well. I bought wings, wand, crown and then I bought these plastic teeth and made a tooth choker and tooth bracelet. I also bought spray body glitter. I’m pretty excited about showing off our costumes. Thanks for the amazing idea!!!!

22. Anonymous 3 years ago

Just finished my tooth! If I would change anything about the tutorial, I would have cut/sewn the roots before I sewed the pillows together! It was hard maneuvering a huge cube of pillows to do that part – possibly the arm holes too. It was a lot more work intensive than I anticipated but I am very happy with the result. Thanks so much for sharing!! Can’t wait to show it off at the Halloween Party tonight.

23. Resti Ayu Anantika 3 years ago

OMG you’re amazing.. I mean you are so creative

24. Allie 3 years ago

This is SO fun!!! I loved it so much, I totally copied you. :) Come check it out if you want! http://www.missloviecreations.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-tooth-fairy-and-her-tooth-costumes.html I made sure to link back to you in my post.:) Happy Halloween!

25. Anonymous 2 years ago

thanks for share.

26. Anonymous 2 years ago

I’m going to try to attempt this halloween costume for me and my bf this year. I hope I can get it right. thanks <3 for sharing

27. Anonymous 2 years ago

28. tickled in love 2 years ago

I loved your unique and creative costumes and had to add you to my round-up, “87 Creative Halloween Couples Costumes” (http://www.thedatingdivas.com/holidays/halloween/87-creative-couples-costumes/). Thanks for being awesome and Happy Halloween from The Dating Divas xox

29. Cecily 2 years ago

Does anyone have an easy way of cutting out the arm holes?

30. Michelle 2 years ago

We’re going to give it a whirl WITHOUT the armholes. Our plan is to make straps so that the pillows (tooth) fits under the arms – held up by tank stye straps. Hopefully it will cut out a lot of time consuming sewing but still look good! We’ll see!

31. Anonymous 2 years ago

This is so cute! Just one question…What size guy does the tooth fit?

32. Anonymous 2 years ago

me and my boyfriend did this year, tonight is the first halloween party! so excited!

33. Hannah 2 years ago

My boyfriend and I are going to a party as this tonight! Thank you so much for the wonderful idea! It also made me learn how to sew 😉 Thank you again!

34. Anonymous 2 years ago

Took about 5 hours. 8$ at Salvation Army. Such a creative idea.
    Thanks for posting the image and instructions!

35. Kelly M 2 years ago

We won cutest couple with this 😊

36. halloween masks 1 year ago

wow!!!innovative idea..I really appreciate for your work

37. Daniel Ethan 1 year ago

Excellent post! I like this…Thanks for sharing!

38. Anonymous 9 months ago

Would pillow cases stuffed with stuffing not be easier??? I am about to attempt this and want the easiest way possible