The Day I Quit My Day Job

So um, did you read the title of this post? Because um, I did it!! Eek! Friday I put in my letter of resignation at work. Holy crap. I’m freaking the eff out. It is a really weird feeling right now. I don’t think it has completely set in.
I have been dreaming about this for about 6 months now. Contemplating. Brainstorming. Wondering. Wishing. But mostly….procrastinating. I was putting it off. I kept coming up with excuses NOT to follow my dream. (ex: the timing at work wasn’t right; it’s slow season in my shop) This was mostly because I was scared of failing. Obviously.
So the day that I finally decided to put in my letter of resignation I was a wreck, drinking peppermint tea all day in hopes of soothing my nervous stomach. I knew that there was no turning back, no more excuses to keep me from an uncertain (but potentially awesome) future.
But I did it. I left work, I rolled the car windows down, I put on Mumford and Sons. I smiled. I, admittedly, even cried a little. I felt so many emotions at one time. There was happiness, excitement, disbelief, denial, fear, panic. But mostly….relief. The relief of getting out of something that was holding me back. Now I can fully pursue something that I love.
This is honestly beyond my dreams and I never imagined this would ever be possible up until about 6 months ago. I am so thankful to have the base of a business that is *hopefully* going to continue to grow. Now that I will be working on it full-time, I’m fully accepting that challenge.
So I just wanted to say…….I couldn’t have done it without you! Thank you for your overwhelming support for my blog, my shop, and this huge decision.
In appreciation (and celebration) please enjoy:
(Ad space applies for any month, it doesn’t matter if this month is booked)

Click here to advertise.

**NOTE: Offer valid until 8/24/12**

WOOT, get on that! And THANK YOU!
  1. OH poopise, I’m sooooo happy for you!! I couldn’t believe it when I read the title to this post- I was like NOW WAY, SHE DID IT!! SHE’S LIVING THE DREAM!! I’m so happy for you! CHEERS!

2. becca @ sew loved 3 years ago

oh wow, that’s such awesome news! congratulations; i’m sure you’ll do great. and what a fun adventure to be on. own it!

3. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh girl!!!

haha. 😀 you rock my socks off!

4. Jennifer Johansson 3 years ago

Congratulations Julie Ann! What fabulous news.

5. delovelydetails 3 years ago

So happy for you!

6. jesslope 3 years ago

Congrats! To new beginnings, cheers!

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! So, so happy for you!!!!

8. Megan 3 years ago

How amazing!! Congratulations… I wish you so much success in growing your business full time!

P.S. Hopping on that ad space discount right now! Thanks so much!

9. Leonora 3 years ago

IDGHJIDUHFOAIDJSIOJDS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GET IT BITCH! <—its an endearing term, but you knew that <3

• Julie Ann 3 years ago

HAHAHA! You know I almost put “Peace Out Bitches” in my little talk bubble up there but then I was like “I should probably be ‘appropriate’…leave it to Leo! ;]

10. Allie 3 years ago

holy guac CONGRATS!!!!!! this is so exciting!

11. Jenn 3 years ago

Congratulations!! I wish the best of luck to your exciting future :) May your dream be all you wish for it to be and much, much more!

12. Ashley Rae 3 years ago

Congrats! So happy for you!

13. Marilyn (Pulp Sushi) 3 years ago

What great news! Congratulations!!

14. Yayyyyy! I am so so happy for you! =) Congrats

15. It's Sooo Fluffy! 3 years ago

Congrats!

16. Erin 3 years ago

Hell Yeah! So excited for you!

17. Amanda 3 years ago

Yay!! Good for you!!!

18. Lola's Jewels 3 years ago

That is sooo awesome!! Best of luck to you! I wish you much success!

19. Aleksandra 3 years ago

Oh, dear lord, I am so so sooo HAPPY for you!!! CONGRATS!

20. Ana F. 3 years ago

So exciting!!! Congrats!!

21. Colleen 3 years ago

Inspiring! Get it girl! Congrats. :)

22. Tiffany 3 years ago

I don’t think I’ve ever commented. But this post is inspiring to the MAX. made me grin, in excitement for you. Get IT! OWN IT! Best Wishes to you.

23. justByou . 3 years ago

Congratulations on quitting your day job! I’m so excited for you and wish you all the best. You’re going to have a great time following your dream!!!
    I’m off to go check out your shop, because I haven’t visited in awhile. =)

~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies

24. Christie Cottage 3 years ago

Cool! Best of luck to you!

<><

25. Maggie Flatley 3 years ago

Best of luck to you!

26. Kelli 3 years ago

congrats-onto bigger and better!!

Kelli
    Tales From a Traveling Teacher

27. Dawn 3 years ago

Congratulations, missy!! Now I know why you were so anxious earlier this weekend. :) I’m so happy for you, and I’m glad that you are able to embark on your dream! Congratulations!!!

28. BCshutterbug 3 years ago

Like everyone else has said… Congrats!! I saw your tweet while at work and couldn’t wait to come home to read this post (connection sucks while I’m riding the bus :/). This is so exciting! I love hearing stories about people getting to live their dreams. It’s heartwarming and motivating. Good luck and have fun! 😀

29. Kelsey Poofy Cheeks 3 years ago

You go girl! Hell Yeah is right! This was an inspiring post for others who want to do the same thing! Best of luck and congrats!!!

30. Kara 3 years ago

How liberating and exciting, congrats!!!

31. Congratulations! I am really excited for you. Good luck in your future endeavors!!!!!
    <3 Jenn

32. September Wren 3 years ago

Whoa, lady!! YES!!

33. One more time, just because, hell freaking YES girlfriend!!

Hell yes.

34. Gipsy Magic 3 years ago

great attitude, wish you luck :)

35. Gemma Ford 3 years ago

Wow I’m so impressed so massive congrats!!! It takes balls to make the leap to live the life you dream of and give up the regular everyday stuff that a normal job brings.

I’ll bet loads of new and exciting opportunities will now come your way and lead you on to more fabulous things!!

What’s your next big dream??

36. Angie Bailey 3 years ago

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! GO YOU!!! So exciting! I know that feeling of leaving a job you don’t like, or one that is holding you back, etc. Or even just leaving for your dream. Go forth and ROCK IT, lovely.

37. Gina Palha 3 years ago

Dear Julie,
    you are so brave!You go for it! You deserve it!
    Brave girls rule the world!
    Gina, this portuguese admirer!

38. Samantha Fryer 3 years ago

How exciting! Good luck!!

39. Ciera 3 years ago

Congrats, how exciting!!!

40. Charisse 3 years ago

Yea! I did the same thing 10 months ago. I took a complete gamble, moved from my home of 20 years in Montana, across the globe to Hawaii to open a store in the place we’d dreamed of calling home for years. We (husband and 5 year old son) had no idea if our business would be a success, but I knew we had to go for it. We had been selling our T’s printed with my art for years at farmers markets and art shows, but I knew it was time to take it to the next level with a store, but I didn’t necessarily want to do it where we lived.
    Our feeling was “Worst case scenario, we live in paradise for 6 months and come home with more debt.” Well, Im happy to say we are living our dream and I have never been so happy. We opened a little store next to the ocean and it’s going great! So just go for it! You CAN and WILL be successful. Best wishes!

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

41. Hena Tayeb 3 years ago

Congratulations and best of luck.. you did it!

42. Jennifer M. 3 years ago

Woohoo!!! I’m so excited for you! I totally understand that crazy, scary feeling of quitting a job that you didn’t really love but felt you had to have for safety’s sake. You won’t regret this step. It’ll be hard, but so worth it!

43. Rebecca D. Dillon 3 years ago

Congratulations! I wish you much success!

44. StevenAitchison 3 years ago

Julie, best of wishes to you. I handed in my letter of resignation on Friday and can’t wait to go it alone.

Love your story.

45. Ella 3 years ago

Well done! I did the same thing at the beginning of the summer, best thing I ever did. Everyone told me I’d work so many more hours and yes I do but it’s not work it’s what I love!

Riding my pink clapped out bicycle taking orders to the post office in the sunshine yesterday was so much better than sitting behind a desk!

I was inspired by this quote –

“you never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore”

so true, you have so much to look forward to along the way, yay!

Bests, Ella

46. Monica Milkman 3 years ago

Congrats! you will do many great things and all of us enjoy reading your blog posts. you are an amazing, beautiful, colorful women and you inspire me
    Thanks and good luck!

47. Anonymous 3 years ago

You’re so bad-ass! Good luck to you. Judging from the art and talent in your Etsy designs (which I adore!), you’ll do phenomenal. This is both exciting and nerve wracking–just enjoy every minute of it!

MJ
    -Papersidewalks.blogspot.com

48. fugeecat 3 years ago

Congrats on the new life!

49. LaurieC 2 years ago

Hello… I’m just now finding this today, Nov. 18, 2013 – and wanted to let you know that your words below really spoke to me…

” I felt so many emotions at one time. There was happiness, excitement, disbelief, denial, fear, panic. But mostly….relief. The relief of getting out of something that was holding me back. Now I can fully pursue something that I love.”

This gave clarity to my mind of what I had experienced when I got a divorce 6 years ago and ended a 30 year marriage. Yes! – getting out of something that was holding me back! And now I’m learning how to let myself pursue something I love – my own life, my ‘self’. I’m loving your blog and your life story of your business and am inspired by you to pursue being a more complete ‘me’. Thank you for all you share.