Couples Halloween Costume: DIY Pacman

As Halloween approaches, I have been seeing our Halloween costume from last year spread across Pinterest. This makes me feel a little awkward, considering I’m hanging out in a tutu with pink tights.
While I loved this costume, I wanted to share my favorite costume we made (and give you an idea of how we made it). This was our first Halloween together and I’m not sure where we came up with the idea, but after a lot of brainstorming (we take this holiday seriously) we landed on Pacman and Miss Pacman.

Let me give you an idea of how we made these. We started at Home Depot. We ended up buying huge pieces of foam board (it appears they serve some kind of insect insulation purpose….gross). Then, we snuck the lid of a garbage can from the store and brought it outside to trace the circle shape onto the foam board. We used a box cutter to cut out the shape, and added a triangular mouth. (We returned the lid, I swear.)

Then we stocked up on: scissors, yellow felt, black felt, red felt, yellow embroidery thread, needles, glue, and thick bands to use for the straps. We were coming up with ideas as we went along so there was no real plan. There was a lot of measuring and cutting, a lot of trial and error.

We glued the yellow felt onto the foam circles first. (If I was going to do anything different I would’ve covered both sides of the foam). Then we sewed yellow felt rectangles to each circle in order to connect them. This was probably the most difficult step, as we had to be sure there our bodies would fit between. We connected the triangular mouth are using black felt. Then we added the straps at the top that would help the costume hang from our shoulders. This was all done with a quick and dirty stitch, we weren’t trying to be perfect.

Then comes the part….adding the eyes, lips, tongues and don’t forget the mole for Ms. Pacman!

These photos were taking more recently, but on that Halloween we also wore white gloves, and I had a red bow in my hair. We were a huge hit and kept getting asked to take our photos.
I hope you liked this! Do you know what you’re going to be for Halloween yet? Do you make your own? Jordan and I have been brainstorming for this year’s costume!

you guys are so freakin’ cute.

2. Allie 3 years ago

you are my hero this is hilarious!

3. Jessica 3 years ago

Love it. I can’t wait to see this years. I think that the tooth fairy costume is actually how I originally started following your blog!

4. Valeri 3 years ago

That’s so funny that you posted this, I just started following you last night after seeing the tooth fairy costumes pinned on Pinterest!

Valeri
    suburbanlivingblog.blogspot.com

5. Meagan Murtagh 3 years ago

pretty dang cute!
    we were mario kart one year and it was so much fun.

xo the egg out west.

6. Mrs. Fun 3 years ago

I die!! I want to do this and make our 4 kids the ghost! I love it!!

7. Quirks 3 years ago

That’s an amazing idea! I love Halloween even though it’s not as big here in the UK. I don’t know what my costume is yet – but I’ve seen awesome ones on Pinterest :) x

8. Kristin Aquariann 3 years ago

Absolutely adorable!! ^.^

9. Megan 3 years ago

Oh my gosh! I love this costume idea so much… great reminder that I need to start brainstorming for this year! My favorite ever costume was a lion (I teased and pinned my hair all around my head as the lion’s mane– awesome that night, not so fun the next morning!)

Megan
    meganesass.blogspot.com

10. Angie Bailey 3 years ago

Squeeee, that’s ADORABLE!!! Jen and I love Halloween, it’s our favorite holiday (well, Samhain and Halloween combined.) This year, we’re also going as game characters – Jen will be Princess Daisy and I, Princess Peach, from the Mario series! I actually just ordered her a custom made, so it’ll fit her perfectly, dress from eBay. Cannot wait!!! I’ve also ordered my Peach wig and will soon order my own custom made dress!!!

11. ilene @ muchloveilly 3 years ago

your costumes are so mind blowing! this might be my favorite one yet!

12. amber.threads 3 years ago

Absolutely unquestionably cute!

13. Anonymous 3 years ago

Hiii! Me and my fiancé made this costume for Halloween this year :) Our costume turned out pretty well, thank you so much for your tutorial! People were pretty impressed that we made it ourselves. Thanks again! Margaret

14. Anonymous 3 years ago

My Boyfriend and I made this costume this year thanks to you!! Hopefully when we go out tonight its a huge hit!!

15. tickled in love 2 years ago

I loved your unique and creative costumes and had to add you to my round-up, “87 Creative Halloween Couples Costumes” (http://www.thedatingdivas.com/holidays/halloween/87-creative-couples-costumes/). Thanks for being awesome and Happy Halloween from The Dating Divas xox

16. Cassie 2 years ago

Where did you find your yellow felt? haha when I think of felt I see the small squares, what you have is huge and cover it all! also how much would you say this costume cost over all the make? I love it!

• Julie Ann 2 years ago

Hi Cassie! You can get yards of felt at fabric stores liek JoAnn’s.

17. Dani 2 years ago

How large were these costumes? I’m trying to make some for my boyfriend and I and I can’t decide what a good size would be.

• Julie Ann 9 months ago

We used a trash can lid to trace the circle.

18. Elizabeth 9 months ago

I’m curious to know what time of glue you used to stick the felt to the insulation board. Also, how did you secure the straps to the board?

• Julie Ann 9 months ago

We made these costumes five years ago so I’m not exactly sure, but my guess is something simple like tacky glue.

19. Crista 9 months ago

OMG Hilarious! I love it! My BF is obsessed with Ms. Pacman….. do I dare show up as her on Halloween?