Our Story

This weekend my boyfriend and I are headed to Catalina Island for our two year anniversary. I figured this would be a good time to give a name and face to this so-often-mentioned boyfriend of mine!

I met Jordan through a friend when I was vacationing in California. We all went out one night and he immediately pulled me to the dance floor. I was a little reluctant,  I tend to need a few drinks before I’m on the dance floor with a guy, but he was cute so I went for it. We instantly clicked. We knew we liked each other, but we also knew I was on vacation, so what was really possible?

Since the friend I was visiting lived in California I got to see what daily life there was like. Basically, I loved it, who wouldn’t? The closer it got to the end of my trip, the more I didn’t want to leave. I even looked into changing my flight home so I had more time in California. I ended up leaving as scheduled. Jordan and I said goodbye without knowing when we’d see each other again.

When I got back to Michigan, I went back to the same photography job I’d had for three years, doing the same things I’d been doing for as long as I could remember. I needed a change. I missed California. I went back and forth in my head so many times about the thought of possibly making the move.

During this time, Jordan and I talked very little. He knew I was thinking about moving and he wanted me to, but at the same time he didn’t want to affect such a big decision in my life when we barely knew each other. I slowly started making steps in California’s direction….breaking the news to my Mom…then to my boss…

I will never forget when my boss told me I was welcome back to my job any time if things didn’t work out in California. Once I heard that, I immediately knew I was doing it. This moment is so vivid to me. I jumped in my car, put on the radio (Taylor Swift’s “Should’ve Said No” was playing), put down my windows….I felt so liberated.

I told Jordan the news. We were excited, but also cautious. We knew things would be completely different this time around. I was going to be facing a lot of adjustments and didn’t want to jump into anything too fast. We both made sure to have no expectations on how things would go.

A few days after I arrived in California everyone was planning to go to the Orange County Fair. This would be my first time seeing Jordan and I was so nervous, not knowing what to wear, or how to do my hair. He greeted me with a big smile and a hug. The rest is sort of history. :]

It’s been two years and it’s the best relationship I’ve ever been in. I am so thankful to be with such a funny, smart, creative, supportive guy. I still think about how we met and it’s crazy to think of where we are now. People tend to think I moved to California for Jordan, but I will forever say that he’s not the reason I moved to California, he’s the reason I’m glad I did.

1. Heidi 4 years ago

Just started following… this is a super sweet story. :)

2. Marilyn 4 years ago

What a sweet story! Congratulations to you both. :)

3. tenderblue 4 years ago

Beautiful story and beautiful photos.

4. Aw, that’s so cute! I met my husband in college. Not very exciting.

5. Lindsay 4 years ago

That is such an adorable story :) Congrats!

6. aww that’s incredibly sweet! you definitely made the right decision :)

7. Julie Ann Art 4 years ago

Paige, finding the love of your life is always exciting. ;]

8. What a great “how we met and came to be” story! My tale isn’t nearly as liberating or exciting…my beau and I met online! Thanks for sharing your story : )

9. Hee103 4 years ago

Thank you for the sweet story of yours.
    This made me remember how I started dating my fiance:)

10. Misty 4 years ago

Such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

11. Christie Cottage 4 years ago

Sounds like a fairy tale!

Being happy is wonderful!

<><

12. Louise @ Aurora 4 years ago

That is the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard! :’) xx

13. ImAprilE 4 years ago

It’s amazing to find happily ever after stories like yours. I, too, have a very happy story behind how my hubby & I met, and how we’ve managed to still adore each other 15+ years later. Awesome!

14. Noelani 4 years ago

This is beautiful :) I love how things happen so unexpectedly in life … leading us down a road of complete happiness :)

15. melissamevans 4 years ago

what an awesome life story! I just found your blog thru the Wiegands blog. I heart your site.

16. thinkpriddy 4 years ago

this is so sweet! congratulations :)

17. Nicole 4 years ago

Adorable story! Absolutely love the last sentence!

18. thewifeypoo 4 years ago

I met my hubby while on a weekend ski trip with the girls, moved in with him a week later. It has been 24yrs,and 2 wonderful sons. It may not have been typical, but I am still madly in love with him. Sounds like you have found the joy of your life as well. I love a happy story!

19. Allie Beauchesne 4 years ago

Just stumbled upon your blog. Love it and love this story! My boyfriend and I began dating while I was on vacation in Cali :-) Then we did a year, me in Boston and him in LA. It was tough, but now he’s out here with me. What’s meant to be will always be! Much love to you and yours. You’ve got a new fan & reader :)
    Allie | neverbroken.com

20. My boyfriend may be moving closer to me soon and while that’s only a 5 hour move I still worry that he’s only doing it just for me. Reading your story makes me see that we only have one life to live and sometimes you just need to take a leap.

Thanks for giving me hope =-)

21. sara grace 3 years ago

Just started following you. Such a sweet story :)

22. Popcorn1997 3 years ago

What a cute story, :) Happy for ya’ll both! May God bless you, God loves you gal:D!

23. Becky Turnbull 3 years ago

Good on you for taking a leap like this, and many congratulations! Your blog is beautiful by the way, you have gained a new follower 😀 Seeing one of your cards on beauty & the feast blog post lead me here!

Love Becky xx

24. Midwest Muse 3 years ago

I somehow stumbled upon your blog on twitter and it’s so pretty and I saw this and it’s just the cutest story. Thanks for sharing!

25. A.Co 3 years ago

Awww!! I love this and the pictures are FANTASTIC.

I found this page through your ‘About Me’ page and am so glad I clicked on it, love this story :)

26. Carolynn Markey 2 years ago

what a lovely story :) I followed your blog because your name is the same as my mom. Her name is Julie Ann also!

27. Jodi Wade 2 years ago

I got goosebumps reading this. Such a nice story.